Thursday, October 18, 2007

Week 6: #15 Library 2.0 & Web 2.0

I read all the perspectives and I'll say a few words about the one by Michael Stephens 'The New World of Librarianship'. I see Library 2.0 as an evolution of the same theory that has always been the best part of public librarianship: that of giving people what they want and need at any given point in time. The difference lies in what is needed/wanted now and the means of providing it.

I think the importance of Library 2.0 is to give direction to libraries as we incorporate the latest in technology and also adapt to the changes in society. I do think it's very important for librarians to be open to using the tools of Web 2.0 and I think it's equally important to avoid the 'technolust' he talks about (i.e., acquiring technology for technology's sake).

It's also important, as he says, to listen to both the users of libraries and the staff that work face-to-face with them every day. Both will give a perspective on what is practical and what is needed.

No comments: