Saturday, February 6, 2010

Searching #78: Video

1) Try Truveo and Blinkx and compare results.
I tried 'vinyl tile floor installation' in each of these because that is a project I am going to do. They both brought up similar results, though Blinkx brought up videos more relevant to my needs on the first page of results. However, I liked Truveo a lot better. There is a menu on the left that allows searches to be limited to certain sources. Also, when the results are returned, they are arranged on the page in a cleaner way than Blinkx, and Truveo gives "suggestions" as you type in the search terms, much as Google does. I found this helpful.

I also used both to search for St. John of the Cross. I liked the results I got in Truveo better on that search. Both websites, however, are very good tools to find videos.

2) HCPL's You Tube Channel. The exercise says to "discuss in your blog ideas for how your own branch video could add to the mix of searchable video content on the Internet." The only thing that comes to my mind is that perhaps David and Mandy could post a video to show the steps that are taken to make the SRP video each year. But I would think that would be a time-consuming task, and they are already stretched thin.

No comments: